This recipe for Green Chile Chicken Casserole from Kim looks like a new family favorite!
“Mash-Ups” have been popular recently. It is when you take two different dishes and combine them into one, for example, a brownie + cookie = “brookie”. I’m calling this Green Chile Chicken Casserole a mash-up of sorts. I was in the mood for some comfort food, and could not decide between Chicken Casserole and Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas. I decided a would kind of smoosh (technical cooking term) the two together!
The end result was quite tasty and the comfort food I was looking for. My version isn’t spicy, so it’s great for the kids too, however, you could certainly bump up the heat if desired. Rotisserie chicken is great for dish, because the chicken is already seasoned and flavorful. Also, the slow cooker can be used to cook your chicken during the day, then it’s ready to use at dinner.
Green Chile Chicken Casserole
- 2 lbs. 6 cups chicken, cooked, shredded & seasoned if not using Rotisserie chicken*
- 1 can cream of chicken soup or homemade equivalent
- 1 can green chiles add more for stonger green chile flavor
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 sleeve Ritz or equivalent crackers, crushed
- 1/2-1 cup Mexican blend cheese optional
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- *I used salt pepper, and just a sprinkle of cumin and chili powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish lightly with cooking spray.
- Add chicken to the casserole dish in an even layer.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cream of chicken, green chiles, chicken broth and sour cream.
- Pour mixture over chicken.
- Top with cheese if desired.
- Sprinkle crushed crackers evenly over casserole.
- Pour melted butter over the crackers.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
Kim M. is a contributing writer for Eat at Home, as well as the mom behind the mayhem at Makin’ it Mo’Betta. There you will find kid-friendly recipes, quick and easy meals, and an embarrassing number of desserts!