Take zucchini and add a savory chickpea filling and you have a delightful dish. There is a version of this recipe that uses meat, but the plant-based version is so yummy, you won’t miss the meat.
If you had a bountiful zucchini harvest and are looking for something different to do with it, this absolutely fits the bill. But zucchini from the grocery store works just as well.
This dish comes together pretty quickly and looks impressive too.
Moroccan Zucchini Boats
- 8 medium zucchini
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 2 15 oz. cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbs. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. allspice
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the middle of each one creating a boat shape.
- Chop the zucchini that you've scooped out.
- Cook onion and garlic in a large skillet.
- Add bell pepper and chopped zucchini and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients & simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Fill the boats with the zucchini mixture and bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes.