A whole Barbecue Chicken Dinner cooked in the slow cooker! The trick is in foil packets and layering the food, something I learned from Stephanie at A Year of Slow Cooking. She used the trick to make steak, baked potatoes and corn on the cob in the slow cooker. I’ve used her trick to cook ham with Hashbrown Casserole.
I love pulling everything out of the crockpot, done and ready to go. Clean up is a breeze too, because there’s just the crock to wash.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Complete Barbecue Chicken Dinner in the Slow Cooker
- boneless chicken breasts
- barbecue sauce
- potatoes chopped
- cheddar cheese shredded
- onion diced
- salt and pepper
- a bit of olive oil
- frozen corn on the cob
- plenty of foil
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Pour on some barbecue sauce. You don’t want to add too much, because the goal is to have as little liquid as possible in the bottom of the pot.
- Stir the potatoes, a bit of olive oil (that didn’t make it in the photo), onion, cheese and salt and pepper together in a bowl.
- Make a large packet out of foil and wrap the potatoes in it, loosely.
- Wrap each corn in foil.
- Place the potato packet on top of the chicken. Add the corn.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8.
Here are a few photos of the process: