I usually make this on the stove, cooking it all day, but this time I decided to adapt it to the crockpot. It was just as good in the crockpot, maybe better because it’s easier.
Gather up your ingredients:
Calico Bean Soup with Smoked Sausage in the Crockpot
- 1 lb. smoked sausage – I use turkey because I don’t like all the grease of the regular kind
- 1 lb. mixed dry beans
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained (I thought it would have been good with a second can)
- 1 qt. chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Prepare the beans by rinsing them and picking through them to remove any little stones.
- Soak them overnight or do a quick soak by covering them with boiling water for and hour or two. Drain them and put them in the crockpot.
- Chop the onion, garlic and sausage and add to the crockpot along with the other ingredients.
- Pop the lid on and cook on high, at least 5-6 hours. I don’t think you could overcook these.
- I serve the soup over brown rice. It’s also good with cornbread.
This recipe always reminds me of a cat we used to have named Harley Davidson (he had a very loud purr). He didn’t usually eat people food, but he loved the “gravy” part of this soup. RIP, Harley. You were a good cat.