Oh yum! We’ll be eating these frequently. They have the ease of a slow cooker meal and the crowd-pleasing taste of Mexican food. They are similar to Chicken Fiesta with Black Beans and Chicken Tacos and Salsa Verde Steak.
But they also have a bit more heat (not so much to make them too hot for the kids) and a delicious smoky flavor.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Smoky Chipotle Chicken Tacos in the Slow Cooker
- 4 boneless chicken breasts – about 1 1/2 lbs.
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1 onion peeled and sliced
- 1 can Fire Roasted diced tomatoes drained
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce finely chopped (not the whole can, just 1 pepper)
- 1/4 tsp. liquid smoke
- flour tortillas
- shredded cheddar cheese
- lettuce chopped
- Mix all of the ingredients together in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Serve in tortillas with cheese and lettuce, if desired.
I needed to serve these with a slotted spoon and thought I could have added a small can of tomato paste to thicken the sauce, but it was fine as it was.
I’m not sure what kind of recipe would use a whole can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, but I bet one bite would set your tongue ablaze! Thankfully, you can freeze these peppers in the adobo sauce. Just pull out either peppers or spoonfuls of sauce for use in other recipes such as Fish Tacos or Shrimp Tacos or Tamale Pork Sandwiches on Cornbread.
I already know that this fall, Thursdays will have to be slow cooker days in our house. I’ll be discovering and creating lots of new recipes for this dinner-saving appliance. How many times a week does the slow cooker come to the rescue for your dinner?