I pulled this recipe together one night from ingredients I had in the pantry and fridge. I was after a healthy meal that would make use of what we had on hand. These Chicken and Vegetable Super Grain Bowls did just that!
I happened to have a bag of Super Grains in the pantry that I’d picked up in Walmart once. If you don’t have super grains, use quinoa or rice or any other type grain you like.
We topped the grains with chicken, red peppers, tomatoes, fresh spinach and feta crumbles. The chicken was already cooked and in the freezer, so it just needed a quick thaw in the microwave.
The feta we used was fat free and I wouldn’t recommend that. I accidentally picked up the fat free version instead of regular. It’s okay, but not great. You could easily make this meal dairy free by leaving off the cheese.
Here’s what you’ll need:
The super grain blend looks remarkably like bird food before it’s cooked. It’s very good though!
The photo shows fresh cherry tomatoes, but I ended up using canned diced tomatoes instead. This was for two reasons. 1. I wanted to have the extra liquid from the canned tomatoes. 2. I made a salad from the cherry tomatoes and extra spinach.
Quick and Easy Chicken and Vegetable Super Grain Bowls
- 1 1/2 cups super grain blend
- 1 can chicken broth
- enough water to bring chicken broth amount to 3 cups total
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 2-3 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/8 tsp. paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups spinach
- 4 oz Feta crumbles
- Rinse grains under water.
- Add water to chicken broth to bring total amount of liquid to 3 cups. Bring to a boil in a pot.
- Add grains to broth, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- While the grains cook, heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Cook garlic, onion and bell pepper till soft.
- Add chicken, tomatoes and seasonings to skillet. Cook over medium heat till heated through.
- Stir spinach into skillet and allow to wilt.
- Remove grains from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
- Serve grains in bowls, topped with chicken and vegetables and feta crumbles.