Homemade soup is so much better than canned. This one is easy. It makes a big pot, so you can freeze the extra for another meal. I’ve got leftovers of this going into the crockpot for our dinner tonight. Cooking once and eating twice is always nice!
Gather up your ingredients:
I modified this recipe a bit from the way my mom gave it to me. I thought the modified version tasted better, but I’ll give you the original ingredient list too.
Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- 2 – 2 1/2 lbs. hamburger
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 can beef broth I used 2 to make it richer
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 2-3 cans Veg-All drained (I used 2 cans undrained)
- 1/2 cup or more of barley or rice
- 1/2 cup or a big squirt of ketchup
- 8 cups water I only used 5 since I added a can of beef broth and didn’t drain the veggies
- Brown the hamburger, onion and green pepper together.
- Drain and rinse under hot water to remove the grease.
- Put back in a large soup pot and add all the other ingredients.
- Bring it to a boil and let it cook a few minutes or simmer it for a few hours.
I served it with Cheddar Muffins.
And if you want more quick and hearty recipes for the Instant Pot, then sign up for my free Instant Pot School. You’ll learn how to make some basics, soups and way beyond with free printable recipes, a meal plan with a color-coded grocery list and video lessons.