A recipe I cut out of a magazine a long time ago, inspired me to create this. The magazine version used barbecue sauce, but I thought it would taste better with a homemade sweet and sour sauce instead. The dish is still very easy to make and the kids loved it. I intended to use a green pepper, but I didn’t have any. I substituted carrots. They were very good and it’s one of the veggies my kids like to eat.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Sweet and Sour Meatballs over Rice
- about 1 lb. of prepared frozen meatballs
- 20 oz can pineapple chunks drained – reserve the juice
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups carrots sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- water to add to the juice to make 1 1/2 cups
- 6 Tbs. vinegar
- 6 Tbs. brown sugar
- 4 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- cooked rice
- Thaw the meatballs in the microwave.
- In a skillet, saute the onion and garlic in a bit of oil. Add in the carrots and cook for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the pineapple juice with enough water to make 1 1/2 cups. Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce and cornstarch. Add to the skillet and stir till thickened.
- Add the meatballs and pineapple.
- Simmer until the meatballs are hot and the carrots are tender-crisp.
- Serve over rice.