We love soup in our house. This is a hearty soup, perfect for winter.
The recipe comes from an Amish Cookbook I have called Amish Friends Cookbook by Wanda Brunstetter. The original name for the soup was Cheeseburger Soup, but there’s something a little unappealing about that to me. So, I changed the name.
If you’ve got someone in your family who likes meat with a meal, this is a good soup to make for them. It’s full of ground beef and potatoes.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Cheesy Hamburger Soup
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 onion
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1 lb. carrots diced
- 2-4 stalks celery diced
- 1 stick butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 1/2 lbs. Velveeta cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown the ground beef with onion in a large pot. Drain and rinse under hot water. Set aside.
- In the soup pot, add broth, water, vegetables.
- Bring to boil and cook until potatoes are tender.
- In a sauce pan, make a white sauce by melting butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk.
- Add Velveeta and stir till cheese is melted and sauce is thickened.
- Add cheese sauce and hamburger to broth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
We were able to get two meals out of this for my family of six. I’m sure you could cut the recipe in half, if you don’t need to feed that many people.