I usually make this on the stove, cooking it all day, but this time I decided to adapt it to the crockpot. It was just as good in the crockpot, maybe better because it’s easier.
Gather up your ingredients:
Calico Bean Soup with Smoked Sausage in the Crockpot
- 1 lb. smoked sausage – I use turkey because I don’t like all the grease of the regular kind
- 1 lb. mixed dry beans
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained (I thought it would have been good with a second can)
- 1 qt. chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Prepare the beans by rinsing them and picking through them to remove any little stones.
- Soak them overnight or do a quick soak by covering them with boiling water for and hour or two. Drain them and put them in the crockpot.
- Chop the onion, garlic and sausage and add to the crockpot along with the other ingredients.
- Pop the lid on and cook on high, at least 5-6 hours. I don’t think you could overcook these.
- I serve the soup over brown rice. It’s also good with cornbread.
If you have an Instant Pot, then you’ll want to check out my Instant Pot Mixed Bean Soup version of this favorite. And the entire collection of The Best Easy Instant Pot Soup Recipes.
And if you want more quick and hearty recipes for the Instant Pot, then sign up for my free Instant Pot School. You’ll learn how to make some basics, soups and way beyond with free printable recipes, a meal plan with a color-coded grocery list and video lessons.
This recipe always reminds me of a cat we used to have named Harley Davidson (he had a very loud purr). He didn’t usually eat people food, but he loved the “gravy” part of this soup. RIP, Harley. You were a good cat.