This soup is made for January. It’s loaded with vegetables, chicken and beans. It’s made from scratch. And it cooks entirely in the slow cooker. No pre-cooking meat required.
In fact, it fits in great with our Slow Cooker Soup Series from last year.
For a simple, complete meal add in cornbread or biscuits. Or try these Rosemary Goat Cheese Muffins.
Here’s what you’ll need for the soup.
The recipe uses bone-in chicken breasts. These get placed on the bottom of the slow cooker. When the soup is just about ready to serve, you’ll remove the chicken and take the meat off the bones, returning the meat to the pot.
I love this method of cooking the chicken right in the soup. The bone-in chicken adds a wonderful homemade quality to the broth.
Slow Cooker Chicken Minestrone Soup
- 2 large bone-in chicken breast
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 boxes chicken broth 32oz each
- 1 can dark red kidney beans
- 2-3 carrots sliced
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 3/4 cup shell pasta
- 2 cups kale chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for topping optional
- Place chicken breasts in bottom of slow cooker.
- Add onion, garlic, tomatoes, chicken broth, beans and carrot to slow cooker.
- Cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Minutes before serving, remove chicken breasts from pot and add zucchini, pasta and kale to the pot.
- Use a fork to pull chicken off the bones. Chop or shred the meat and return to the slow cooker.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top each bowl with Parmesan, if desired.