I ran across a recipe for Chicken Shwarma on the blog, Jersey Girl Cooks. Lisa roasted her chicken in the oven and it looks fabulous. But being the lazy cook that I am, I decided this would work in the slow cooker.
Hot dog! I was right! My family loved this meal and I know I’ll be making it again.
I only made minor alterations to Lisa’s recipe. I changed the cooking method and more than doubled the recipe so it would feed my family. I never could find tahini, so I served it with cucumber-yogurt sauce instead. If I ever find tahini paste (Walmart, are you listening?) I’m going to try Lisa’s sauce.
Chicken Shwarma in the Slow Cooker
- 6 Tbs. lemon juice
- 6 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 2 dashes cayenne pepper
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 lbs. boneless chicken thigh strips
- 8 oz plain or Greek style yogurt
- 1 small cucumber chopped
- pita bread
- Stir lemon juice, olive oil, salt, curry, cayenne pepper and garlic together in a small bowl.
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Pour olive oil mixture over the top, stirring to coat the chicken.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Stir cucumber and yogurt together.
- Serve chicken in pita bread, topped with yogurt sauce and tomatoes.
I’m showing this off at Gooseberry Patch One Pot Meals link up.