Last summer, we spent time in Gulf Shores, Alabama. We ate most of our meals at the beach house, but we did go out once. After taking a quick survey on Facebook and seeing several readers recommendation Sea-N-Suds, we decided to try it.
Great choice! It was inexpensive, casual and right on the beach. I chose to try the Shrimp Sandwich, which was loaded with breaded, deep-fried shrimp. Delicious!
This pan fried version is simple enough for a weeknight dinner. It probably rings in at a few less calories than the deep-fried version too.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, deveined, tail off, thawed
- oil for frying
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. (or more) sweet pickle relish
- Stir cornmeal, flour and Old Bay Seasoning together in a small bowl.
- Mix eggs and shrimp together in a bowl.
- Using your hands, lift shrimp out of egg in small batches and toss in breading.
- Fry in oil in large skillet, in batches. Flip shrimp to the other side half way through cooking. It should only take a few minutes on each side for breading to brown and shrimp to get done.
- Stir mayo and relish together for tartar sauce.
- Serve shrimp on buns with tartar sauce.