Renee from one of my favorite forums posted this chicken recipe the other day and I knew I would have to try it. I love a good slow cooker recipe and we eat so much chicken we could cluck (and that’s not a complaint, it’s just the way it is).
The recipe is simple (another one of my favorite things) and it didn’t disappoint. I served it with couscous that I cooked with the broth and onions from the chicken. Yum!
Zesty Crockpot Chicken with Couscous
- 4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 large onion sliced thin
- 1 box couscous
- Clean the chicken and remove the giblets from the insides.
- Place the onions on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Mix all the spices together and rub all over the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker on top of the onions.
- Cook on high for 5-6 hours or low for 7-9 hours.
For the couscous:
- Cook according to the package directions, except instead of water use the broth and onions from the chicken. Couscous cooks in about 5 minutes, making it perfect for a busy night.
Please forgive me for this picture of the chicken. Chickens are not photogenic. Plus, I somehow cooked this one upside down, which didn’t help it’s beauty a bit. And you can see where we stabbed it with the fork to get it out of the crockpot. Have I made you hungry with that description? On the plus side, the spices made it look colorful, rather than the bland look a slow cooked chicken usually has.