Instant Pot Corn Chowder is a family favorite that can be made on a budget.
My family loves this Instant Pot Corn Chowder because it’s hearty and delicious. I love it because it’s quick and easy – and also easy on my budget.
If your family loves soup as much as mine, then you’ll want to check out my entire collection of Instant Pot Soup Recipes too!
Instant Pot Corn Chowder
The bulk of this soup is potato and corn, which are both relatively cheap ingredients to pick up no matter what the season. Add some broth and seasoning and it magically turns into a filling meal everyone will love.
Instant Pot Corn Chowder is also easy to prep. The potatoes and onion are the only things that need to be chopped and you don’t even have to peel the potatoes! Leaving the skins on gives the soup a rustic feel, and the peels add a depth of flavor to the soup.
The soup starts with a quick cream sauce made on the sauté setting. This will help thicken the whole soup, so it’s an important step. After it’s done, add everything to the pot and start cooking.
The last step is to stir in the half and half just until warm. You don’t want to add it earlier because you don’t want it to boil. But, don’t leave it out! It will give your soup a really nice creaminess.
We love to serve this along with a big salad and some crusty bread for sopping up any leftover broth.
If you’d prefer to use your slow cooker, you can check out the Slow Cooker Corn Chowder.
Either way you prepare this soup, take a few minutes to check out my free Instant Pot School. You’ll have instant access to PDF lessons, videos, recipes, a meal plan, and plenty of tips and tricks. And a few very worthwhile perks too!
Instant Pot Corn Chowder
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 onion, diced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 4 cups unpeeled diced potatoes
- 2 cans corn, drained, or 16 oz. frozen corn
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups half and half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hit the saute button on the Instant Pot. Melt the butter, then add the onion. Cook until the onion is translucent.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and cook until thickened.
- Add in remaining ingredients, except half and half.
- Set manual cook time to 10 minutes. Let the pressure release for 5 minutes, then release remaining pressure.
- Hit the saute button and stir in the half and half. Warm until heated through, but do not boil. If the soup gets close to boiling, remove the pot from the Instant Pot.