Chicken, Avocado, Lime and Cilantro Soup
I was sick with a terrible sinus infection. And I just wanted homemade chicken noodle soup.
The problem was that I didn’t have any of the ingredients I needed. And there was no chance I could make it to the store.
So I looked and my fridge at what I had and this is what I came up with. It was so delicious! And my whole family ate it and they said it was delicious as well. Home run!
Here’s to using what you’ve got in the pantry! This ingredient list is simple:
This is an easy stove-top recipe, but it could be made in the slow cooker as well. If you use a slow cooker, just hold out the rice till near the end of cooking time and add it 30 minutes before serving. You can use rotisserie chicken or chicken you’ve cooked and frozen.
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 Tbs. Olive oil
- Garlic, 1-2 cloves minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can of green chilies
- 2-3 cups of cooked chicken
- Can of diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can beans (any kind you like)
- 2 - 32 oz. containers of Chicken broth
- 2-3 tablespoons of lime
- ½ cup rice
- 2 avocados, chopped in bite size pieces
- a handful of cilantro, chopped
- Toppings - I used Monterrey jack cheese and crumbled up tortilla chips
- Heat up olive oil and saute the onion, garlic, and green chilies for a few minutes in a large pot.
- Mix in the chicken, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, beans, lime juice and rice.
- Cook together for 20-30 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- Salt and pepper to your liking.
- When you are ready to serve toss in the avocado and cilantro.
Rachael Walkup has been married to her best friend for 8 years. They have two kids – a 4 yr old boy and a 2 yr old little girl. She loves to write, cook, spend time with family, and serve others. You can learn more about her by following along on twitter, her blog, or pinterest.