It’s been a while since I made this. It was the result of a mini pantry challenge that I was doing to avoid going to the grocery. I pulled the ingredients out of the fridge and freezer and created this. I think I was out of garlic and that’s why I used Italian dressing in place of oil and garlic. I wasn’t sure that it would work, but it did. This post is going to be less of an actual recipe, and more of how to put your own make-shift meal together.
Here’s what I used:
- about 2 cups cooked chicken (or use another meat or go meatless)
- 1 bag frozen cheese tortellini (or use ravioli)
- 1 bag frozen snow peas
- about 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian dressing (or use olive oil with garlic and Italian seasonings added)
- 1-2 cups Parmesan cheese, shredded
- about 1 cup chicken broth
- about 1 cup half & half, warmed in the microwave
Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Steam the peas in the microwave or on the stove top. Warm the chicken in the microwave.
In a skillet, add the Italian dressing or oil. Cook the onion (and garlic if you’re using it) in this until soft. Whisk in the chicken broth and half & half. Whisk in the cheese, cooking over medium heat to melt the cheese.
Mix all the ingredients together in the pasta pot after you’ve drained the tortellini.
Alter the ingredients as needed. You could use bell pepper, peas, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes… Use your imagination and what you have in your fridge and freezer.