Garlic Chicken with More Garlic in the Crockpot

crockpot-chicken-with-20-40-garlic-ingr-this-one

I love garlic, so when I saw this recipe over at A Year of Crockpotting, I had to try it.  It did not disappoint.  The garlic takes on a nutty, roasted flavor and the seasoning on the chicken compliments the other flavors.  I served the garlic and onions over angel hair pasta.  I’m pretty sure this was the fanciest chicken leg meal I’ve ever eaten.

Here’s what you’ll need:

crockpot-chicken-with-20-40-garlic-ingr-chick

3-4 pounds of chicken (I used a large pack of legs.  You could use any cut you like)

1 large onion, sliced

1 Tbs. olive oil

2 tsps. paprika

2 tsps. kosher salt

1 tsp. pepper

20-40 garlic cloved, peeled but left whole (I used 1 bulb of garlic)

Toss the onions in the bottom of the crockpot.  In a large bowl, mix the chicken with the other ingredients.  I used my hands to mix it all up.  Put the chicken in the crockpot on top of the onions.  Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.

Because of the paprika, the chicken turns out an appetizing color, something I find unusual in crockpot cooking.  Still, chicken legs are not very photogenic.  (Neither are my own legs though, so I shouldn’t point fingers.  Okay, that’s enough appendage talk.)  I served the garlic and onions over angel hair pasta and it was perfectly yum.  The garlic would also be good smeared on hot bread.

crockpot-chicken-with-20-40-garlic

Comments

1. Oh, this is perfect! I was just trying to decide what I should do with the big package of chicken legs I bought on a whim. Now I know! And I would LOVE it if my chicken ever came out of the crockpot looking like that. Can’t wait to try it – thanks!

2. I think it looks delicious!

Thanks for coming by and sharing my SITS day with me yesterday. It was GREAT!

3. Monica says:

Yay! I can’t wait to try this recipe! With a newborn in the house, the crockpot has been my new best friend…due to lack of time to actually stand at the stove and cook up something yummy for my hubby.
    Thanks!

4. I’m excited to try this. I’ve heard it’s got amazing flavor!!!

5. This looks so good…you have no idea how much I love roasted garlic. And MORE garlic is even better!

6. Now I’m hungry for garlic! Thanks for sharing!

7. I have to go to the store for onions and garlic tomorrow! This is going to be our Saturday or Sunday meal. Too bad tomorrow’s pizza and movie night or I’d be making it then.

I love your recipes. I tend to always cook the same things over and over and get bored with what I’m cooking. This gives me something to look forward to and it also makes my family happy.

8. Don’t you just love that blog! I don’t use my crock nearly as often as I should.

This recipe sounds great!

9. Tiffany says:

I made this with boneless, skinless breasts. It was wonderful! With two little ones I need plenty of easy, flavorful recipes and this fit the bill. I’ll definitely be checking back for more recipes. Thanks!

10. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. Looks so good! I do so heart the crock pot. Set it and forget it. Ah ha.

11. I have made this and my kids (8&10) LOVE it! Served with couscous or brown rice and a green veggie and dinner is served in minutes!

12. Kathy A says:

Looks like another winner!

13. Made it and everyone LOVED it! Huge hit! I’ll definitely be making this again.

14. Wow…this was really good! I loved how the skin came a little crispy…very unusual for a crockpot. I will definitely make this again, and I’d be proud to serve it to company!

15. This looks incredible. Did you skin your chicken? And did you just serve it over plan angel hair? I was wondering if it made some kind of au jus or sauce while in the crockpot that you put over the noodles.
    Thank you!

16. I made this for dinner today and it was SO good! Thank you. A new one for our rotation, for sure.

17. I tried this recipe last night and my family LOVED IT!! My husband is such a picky eater and he wants me to make this one again!! Thanks for all these great ideas!! :O)

18. I’m making this for dinner tonight with chicken thighs. The house smells wonderful already. Can’t wait to try it!

19. I did this with boneless, skinless breasts and it was tasty. You can prep, mix, and freeze all ingredients except the onions. Well, I suppose you could slice and freeze them separately. I just dump all the ingredients, except the onion, into the freezer bag, then seal the bag and squish it around until the chicken is evenly coated with seasonings before putting it in the freezer. On cooking day, simply slice the onions and put them in the crockpot, then dump the frozen chicken mixture on top and cook on low. I served it over couscous.

20. I’d love to make this, but my husband isn’t a garlic fan, so I don’t think I can pull this one off! :P

21. We loved this it was great!!

22. Im new at using the crockpot. This sounds good, but do I not need to add any extra liquid to the crockpot to cook?

23. I just made this in a pressure cooker… 60 mins.. i substitued chicken rub for paprika (bought pap but cant find it) and its all done. Tons of juice that will go over orzo tonight.. Not as pretty as the picture but will do.. Fell apart when touched with a fork. I guess if you want it browner you can throw in the oven..

24. I try to make things easier for me when cooking for five. Alot of times I dont feel like cooking. So I take a lot of crock pot, slow cooker meals and do also in pressure cooker to see if taste is any different so far it has not proved anything different accept the time.. This was prep in 10 mins and left in pressure cooker for 60 mins all done with tons of liquid. Tonight i may throw in oven to brown the chicken a bit more will see.

25. I’m super excited to try this because I have a big pack of legs in my freezer. I think I’m gonna try and puree the cooked garlic and onions in with some mashed potatoes. Or maybe even bake some potatoes, scoop out the filling and mix it with the onions & garlic, and stuff it back into the shells to twice bake them.

My mouth is watering already!

26. I made this today. Sadly, we did not like it. The flavors, for us, were not a good match. Don’t know what went wrong, but won’t be doing this again.

27. stephanie millings says:

Oh, your recipes are lovely. Where have you been all my life.lol

28. What I am preparing for this evening. It already smell wonderful in my home :)

29. This is cooking away in my kitchen right now – the house smells amazing! Thanks for a great new way to cook chicken!

30. I tried this recipe two nights ago and it was AMAZING!!!! My favorite part was smearing the olive oil, garlic & onion mixture (from the bottom of the crockpot) onto slices of toasted french bread. SOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!! Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

31. This was great and my toddler loved it! Thanks for the recipe!

32. What about chicken breast instead chicken legs?
    Thanks!

33. I’ve made this recipe yesterday and although me and my family liked the taste, I think it can be made better.
    I left it in the Crockpot for 5 hours on low but the result was to dry and it was hard for me to remove the skin, it had become too soft. The idea was to not remove it in the beginning for extra flavor. It’s true that the chicken cooks in its own liquid and the liquid that comes from the garlic and the onion, but if you need sauce to go with your rice, it’s not enough.
    Since I use my crockpot, I think that it becomes too hot on low temperature, the liquid that’s in it always boils after some time, but I always thougt the crockpot should not operate at boiling temperature. Does anyone have the same experience?
    Planned to check some more recipes on this site.

• Oscar, how full is your crockpot? One thing that can cause overcooking is having the crock not full enough. That causes things to cook too fast.

• Hi Tiffany,
        Yesterday the pot was half full, but some other time it was 3/4 full and it boiled too. I never filled it up to the edge.

• Hmmm, that should be full enough. Maybe your crockpot just cooks much hotter than others. Sorry I’m not more help.

• Thanks for your help anyway. And wish you delicious meals.

• Hi Tiffany,

I found this on the net:

“I wrote to Desjardins (Crockpot mfr) a couple of years ago about this – Crockpots running too hot – and after some run-arounds they told me that they did increase the cooking temperature of all of their “slow cookers” due to “the regulations” (her term to me). I suspect “the regulations” were from their legal department as a precaution against getting sued rather than from the federal government. Slow cooking at temperatures below the boiling point CAN allow rapid bacterial growth, but that’s an issue that should be dealt with through proper ingredient preparation and attention to cooking (don’t remove the lid for at least the first 3 hours)”

So I’m wondering what’s the use of my crockpot if it’s not able to keep the temperature below the boilingpoint!!! Ideal temperature for preparing tender meat is 160-190F, so I read somewhere.

I’m going to experiment with slowcooking in my oven,

34. We had this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! We spread the cooked garlic onto rolls. I cooked mine on LOW for 4 hours and it came out perfectly. Thank you for the recipe!

35. Christine says:

I buy the jarred containers of garlic. How much would you suggest to add instead of using fresh garlic?

• Christine, I think there’s a measurement on the jar that will say how much equals one clove of fresh. But also, because this recipe uses whole cloves, you will want to use less. Maybe the equivalent of 4 cloves crushed.

36. Rachael says:

Just found this recipe and it looks great as I am living in Thailand and it uses minimal ingredients! Wondering if you think it would be okay to use sliced chicken breast to reduce cooking time? I usually throw some sliced chicken with teriyaki sauce into the crock pot and it comes out fine, but I am thinking maybe I should add a bit of chicken broth. Thoughts?

• I was wondering about using chicken breasts, too and I found the answer above. Tiffany said she made this with breasts and it came out great. I’m going to do it!

37. I was so excited to try a chicken recipe for the crockpot that looked GREAT. I did everything to the recipe. Unfortunately it was not good. Won’t be making this again.

• Letty, I’m sorry it didn’t turn out. I’ve made this multiple times and it’s one of our favorites. Sorry it was a miss for your family.

38. Think I could use a whole chicken?

39. I’m new to the crockpot cooking and I love it. Do I have to add water or a liquid to the crockpot to make this?

40. Followed recipe to the T: 6 hours on low and I have overcooked, mushy chicken. Bummer.