Do you ever find yourself just wanting a big bowl of in-season fresh fruit for lunch? I was in one of those moods the other day when I came up with this Watermelon Salad.
If you’ve been around here very long then you know that I’m all about quick, budget-friendly and healthy ways to feed our families. This salad meets all of those “standards” and it’s delicious too!
It’s always a great idea to use in-season fruits and veggies. They’re easy to find and affordable. And if your city has a Farmer’s Market, then that’s even better.
Another favorite when it comes to salad combinations is using fruit, a sweet dressing of some sort and strong cheese. It creates an interesting contrast that tastes light and special, and may even create a craving for your summer lunch menu.
Oh, and did I mention that this watermelon salad only has 4 ingredients? That’s right 4-ingredients, including the dressing.
Enough talking, for now, let’s get to the recipe!
- 6 - 8 cups spring greens or arugula
- 2 cups watermelon cubes
- 3 oz. goat cheese
- raspberry vinaigrette dressing or make your own with the ingredients below
- 3 Tbsp. all fruit seedless raspberry preserves
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To make the dressing: melt the preserves in a small bowl in the microwave, 10 seconds at a time, stirring in between, just enough to blend it with the other ingredients.
- Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk to combine.
- Combine the greens, watermelon and goat cheese in a large bowl. Add dressing to taste and serve.