Oh my goodness. This is beyond amazing.
Nutella slathered over malt waffles and piled high with bananas, blueberries and strawberries. Wow!
A while back I saw a post on the Disney Food Blog about new waffle sandwiches available at Sleepy Hollow in Magic Kingdom. I’ve vowed that we will try these on our next trip. But I couldn’t wait that long. I decided to make them at home.
I used malted milk powder in the waffles to make them more like Magic Kingdom waffles. I don’t own a Belgian waffle maker, but if you have one, you’ll want to use it for this recipe. I think thicker waffles might make them easier to fold into a sandwich. We ate them on a plate, with a fork.
I don’t have a photo of all the ingredients, but here’s a picture of malted milk powder in case you’ve never seen it before.
I doubled the original recipe, so it would make plenty of waffles.
Serves: about 12 waffles
- 3 cups flour
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 3 Tbs. malted milk powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3 cups milk
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 qt. strawberries, sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2-3 bananas, sliced
- Heat waffle iron.
- Stir flour, sugar, baking powder, malted milk and salt together in large bowl.
- With a whisk, combine butter and milk.
- Whisk in egg yolks to the milk mixture.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry, just until combined.
- With an electric mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Ladle batter into waffle iron and cook till done.
- Top warm waffles with Nutella, strawberries, blueberries and bananas.
The Better Baker says
OHMYGOODNESS! for sure. Your photos are soooo wonderful and inviting! Just can’t go wrong with nutella, in any shape or fashion. Add it to a waffle and fruit??? Perfect! Love the idea of adding the malted milk too. A fantastic recipe…so glad you shared!
Where did you find the malted milk powder? Would it be by the baking goods or somewhere else? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before.
I think the malted milk powder was near the chocolate syrup and Nestle’s Quick and such.
Micha @ Cookin' Mimi says
I wanted a waffle iron before and now I need one. These look amazing.