This recipe was given to me by a friend a long time ago. What more can you ask for from a recipe? It’s yummy, healthy, cheap and fast. It’s vegetarian and can even be vegan if you forgo the cheese and sour cream garnishes.
Mexican Beans and Rice
- 2-3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 3 cups brown or white rice cooked
- cheddar cheese shredded
- sour cream if desired
- Cook onion and garlic in oil in a large skillet until onion is soft.
- Add spices, beans and salsa. Cook several more minutes until it's all hot.
- Serve beans over rice. Top with cheese and sour cream, if desired.