I’ve done tilapia in a foil packet before, but this time I wanted to use the grill and more veggies. Instead of making individual packets, I made a large one. The fish and vegetables cooked perfectly in just 15-20 minutes. Even though the foil was charred around the edges, the food didn’t burn at all.
Here’s what you’ll need, but feel free to substitute any vegetables and seasonings you like.
Lemon Pepper Tilapia with Veggies on the Grill
- 6 tilapia fillets thawed (I used one bag of frozen fillets)
- 3 leeks sliced thin
- 1 yellow squash sliced in thin half moons
- 1 zucchini sliced in thin half moons
- 3 Roma tomatoes sliced thin
- 1-2 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning or to taste
- non-stick cooking spray
- You’ll need heavy duty foil for this dish. If you don’t have that, try doubling regular foil.
- Spread a large piece of foil on the counter (about 15 inches long). Spray with cooking spray.
- Place the tilapia in a single layer on the foil.
- Lightly sprinkle with lemon pepper.
- Cover with the veggies and sprinkle more lemon pepper using as much or as little as you like.
- Rip off another piece of foil, about this same size as the first and cover the fish and vegetables. Fold all of the sides of the foil together so you end up with a loose packet.
- Slide the packet onto a cookie sheet or cutting board to transfer it to the grill.
- Cook over low to medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
I made this on our old grill, which was not reliable at all, so I’m not exact on the best temperature to use. That grill had hot spots and cool spots and burned things, even on low. We just got a new grill though and it cooks much better. In future recipes I’ll be able to give better grilling instructions.
Here are some photos of the assembly process for the packet:
I’m not a huge fish fan (and I live on a lake, for goodness sakes) but I do like tilapia. I love grilled anything so this looks like a keeper. Will definitely try this recipe.
This is so colorful! This is super healthy too – no oil.
Looks yummy can’t wait to try it!
Yum! Thanks for sharing
Crystal & Co says
As always… yum. Cannot wait to try it. Simplicity at its best.
Thanks for all the grilling ideas!
Crystal & Co says
We made this for dinner tonight… yum!
Here is my meal plan for the week… two of your recipes are on there!!
I am making this for dinner this evening! Can’t wait, looks delicious.
Great recipe. I’ve done something like it, and it’s perfect for a summer night when you want out of the kitchen. Thanks for sharing a new twist!
Kelly - Two Kids (and a mom) Cooking says
We are big fish eaters here at the 2 Kids house, and this recipe has me drooling a little. Next time we have tilapia, were trying it.
Thanks for sharing!
Made this tonight with cod and used Lemon Pepper marinade as that was what I had. Served it over angel hair. Loved it.
Jennifer Garcia says
If put it in the oven as a big package like that what temp would u use and how long would u cook it for?
Jennifer, I’d go for 400 degrees for 20ish minutes. Try to make the packet so it is a single layer of fish, or as close to it as you can make it.
Great idea!!! Just today I was trying to figure out how to grill tilapia on the grill without any contraptions to do so. I like the way you think Tiffany. I always feel like you are “keeping it real” where the Moms of this world are living every day. Thanks!!