There are nights when I stare into my pantry, wondering what I’m going to fix. On this particular night, the contents of the pantry made me consider making Italian Sausage with Bowties but I didn’t have any stewed tomatoes. I decided to change the recipe up a bit and came up with this.
Like the original, it’s a cinch to make and quick too. This one gets an added taste boost from the peppers. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 lb. bowtie pasta
- 1 lb. bulk Italian Sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 cup half & half, warmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the pasta according to the package directions.
- In a large skillet, brown the meat with onion and garlic. Drain and rinse under hot water to remove the extra grease.
- Return to the skillet and add the bell peppers.
- Cook for several minutes, till the peppers are tender crisp.
- Add crushed tomatoes, oregano and basil.
- Cook over medium heat till hot.
- Turn the heat to low. Stir in half & half.
- Drain the pasta and return to the cooking pan.
- Add the Italian sausage sauce to the pasta.
- Serve with Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese, if you like.
This post is part of Tasty Traditions at Coupon Cookin’