The filling for these lettuce wraps is perfect for making ahead and freezing. I see this becoming one of my vacation food recipes.
The chicken is seasoned with garlic, soy sauce and some vinegar. Water chestnuts and green onions add to the flavors. I based the recipe on Spicy Garlic Chicken Pizza, another winning freezer recipe.
The chicken filling would also be great served over rice, but we liked the crunch of the lettuce.
Here’s what you’ll need for the Chicken Lettuce Wraps:
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless chicken breast
- pepper and soy sauce for seasoning
- vegetable oil
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 can water chestnuts, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 Tbs. soy sauce
- 5 Tbs. vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbs. cornstarch
- iceberg lettuce
- Cut the chicken into very small pieces.
- Sprinkle with pepper and a couple teaspoons of soy sauce.
- Cook in batches in a large skillet until done.
- Put all the chicken back into the skillet.
- Add the garlic, green onions, and water chestnuts.
- Stir soy sauce, vinegar, cayenne, sugar and cornstarch together.
- Pour into the skillet and cook till hot and bubbly.
- Serve right away in slices of lettuce or over rice.
- To freezer, cool and put in zip top freezer bag. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave.
Rada Cutlery is one of Eat at Home’s sponsors, but I would rave about their knives no matter what. The Cook’s Knife is my favorite, everyday knife but I own many others and love them all. Rada Cutlery mostly sells their products through fundraisers. If you work with a group that needs to raise money, please contact them for info. Their people are just as fabulous as their products.