When my kids were very small, and there were fewer of them, I used to make this dish often. Somewhere along the line, I forgot about it. A very sad thing, because this pie is healthy, easy and tastes great. The recipe is lightly adapted from the Whole Foods for the Whole Family cookbook.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups broccoli, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, swiss, etc)
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. dried basil or several Tbs. fresh basil
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt for the crust.
- Cut the butter in and then stir in the yogurt.
- Pat into a buttered pie plate.
- Layer the broccoli, onion, and tomatoes in the crust.
- Sprinkle with the basil.
- Spread the mayo over the top of the veggies.
- Add the cheese to the top of the pie.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.