Coffee cake in the slow cooker? Yes indeed! The trick to baking this Slow Cooker Whole Wheat Blueberry Coffee Cake is to find a souffle pan that will fit in your slow cooker. You should find a 2 quart round souffle dish fits well in a 5 quart slow cooker.
The cake will cook in a water bath. Once the batter is made and is in the souffle dish, place the souffle dish in the slow cooker. You will then pour hot water around the souffle dish like the picture below:
This recipe calls for whole wheat white flour. If you have never cooked with it before, it is lighter than whole wheat flour. It can be found in most grocers and is a great way to introduce your family to whole grains. However, if all you have is unbleached all-purpose flour, feel free to substitute.
Slow Cooker Whole Wheat Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried lemon peel
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and lemon peel in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, stir together the egg, sour cream and canola oil.
- Mix the wet ingredients until the dry ingredients until well combined. Gently stir in the blueberries.
- Coat a 2 quart souffle pan with cooking spray. Add the batter. Lower into the slow cooker. Cover with a piece of foil and wrap tightly so no water gets into batter.
- Pour 2 cups of hot water into the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- When baked, turn cake upside down onto a wire rack. Allow to cool.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired before serving.
NOTE: I have cooked this coffee cake on low for 8 hours. HOWEVER, you will need to add additional water to the slow cooker. If the slow cooker runs out of water while it is on, you run the danger of having the crock crack.