I made all my kids happy with this Stromboli. And they gladly ate the leftovers for lunch the next day. The recipe is from my sister-in-law and it’s a good one. It uses frozen bread dough, so no yeast or kneading required. The filling can be tailored to suit your tastes. I would have piled on the veggies, but the kids voted for pepperoni.
Here’s what you’ll need:
*Note – the picture shows 2 loaves of dough, but the recipe below is for 1. Double it if you want to end up with 2.
Here you can see the assembled Stromboli, before I rolled it:
After it was rolled and baked. See all that yummy cheese seeping out? Mmmm.
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
- 2 egg yolks, save the whites
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbs. Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbs. oil
- Filling: pepperoni, sausage, ham, veggies etc.
- Mozzarella cheese – about 2 cups
- 1 jar pizza sauce
- Spread the dough out on a buttered cookie sheet, like a pizza crust.
- Mix the other ingredients (minus the fillings) and spread like butter on the crust.
- Layer the fillings and top with cheese.
- Roll it up starting with the long edge so you end up with a long, log shape.
- Place it seam side down on the cookie sheet.
- Brush with the reserved egg white.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
- Slice and serve with the pizza sauce.