Of all the delicious ways to eat a stick of butter and lots of sugar, Toffee is one of the best.
This is easy to make, but you do need a candy thermometer. I clipped the recipe out of an old Southern Living magazine. There are all kinds of yummy variations but we go for plain and simple at our house.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 Tbs. light corn syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Bring the sugar, butter, corn syrup and water to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until the mixture is golden brown and the candy thermometer reads 290-310 degrees (or Hard Crack)
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and let them stand for a minute until they begin to melt. Spread them out evenly over the top.
- Chill for an hour and break into pieces.