Of all the delicious ways to eat a stick of butter and lots of sugar, Toffee is one of the best.
This is easy to make, but you do need a candy thermometer. I clipped the recipe out of an old Southern Living magazine. There are all kinds of yummy variations but we go for plain and simple at our house.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 Tbs. light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Bring the sugar, butter, corn syrup and water to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook until the mixture is golden brown and the candy thermometer reads 290-310 degrees (or Hard Crack)
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and let them stand for a minute until they begin to melt. Spread them out evenly over the top.
- Chill for an hour and break into pieces.
that sounds SO good. Toffee is my favorite!!
Noah's Mommy says
yummo…and looks easier than I would have expected…..thanks…I will be doing this at home…but where the heck to you get a candy thermometor….????
Candy Thermometers can be found at Walmart and stores like it. Look in the aisle of baking foods they have on display or in the aisle with the cooking gadgets and utensils.
YUM YUM YUM!
Love your blog!
Thanks for visiting my blog. I posted how the freezer soup turned out tonight! I love to make toffee, and do almost every year, but I had to cut it out of my Christmas fare this year. I have 15 varieties of candies and cookies made, and decided to stop at that, especially since I don’t know my neighbors yet and have nobody to whom to give this stuff!!!! 😉
YUM! I’ve always loved eating this. I never have made it though!
I love the looks of this and how it’s made.
Oh, that looks ultra-yum! Thanks for sharing! And thanks for stopping by to see me today! 🙂
Rachel and Jacob says
OoOo i make this stuff all the time!! so rich and buttery and fattening and gloriuos!
Oh my goodness! I love toffee & Amish Oatmeal cookies! Thank you for those awesome recipes! You always make it look so neat, clean & easy!