Today is my birthday, so I’m sharing a variation of my favorite birthday treat. These Peach Pie Squares are a peachy twist on Cherry Squares.
We loved this version, and I did have trouble staying out of them. But I have to admit that the Cherry Squares are still my favorite. I really do have to watch myself to keep from eating the whole pan of the cherry version.
The recipe is easy, but it does require getting out the rolling pin. Don’t worry though. This crust is a cinch to make. And it’s very forgiving. If it tears or rips, just press it back together with your fingers. The icing will cover up all of the crust anyway, so there’s no need to worry about making it look perfect.
I’m not much of an apple pie lover, but if you like apple (especially Dutch Apple Pie with icing) these would be great with a can of apple pie filling instead of peach or cherry.
Here’s what you’ll need:
In addition to what’s in the photo, you’ll need powdered sugar, pecans, vanilla and a bit of milk to make the icing.
Peach Pie Squares
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 1/2 sticks butter 3/4 cup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 can peach pie filling
For the Icing
- 2-3 Tbs. butter softened
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2-3 Tbs. milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Mix the dry ingredients together and cut the butter in with a fork or a pastry blender, until you have crumbs.
- Stir together the egg, milk and lemon juice and add it all to the dry ingredients.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll one half out with a rolling pin on a floured surface and then transfer it to the 9×13 pan.
- Cover the dough with pie filling.
- Roll out the second dough ball and place it on top of the pie filling. This dough is pretty forgiving. If you need to patch a hole, just pat a piece of dough into place. It doesn’t need to be perfect.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Cool completely and then frost.
For the Icing
- Put the butter in a small bowl and add the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Start with 2 Tbs. of milk and stir together.
- Keep adding milk slowly until you get a nice, spreadable consistency and everything is mixed well. Spread on the cooled cherry squares. Sprinkle with chopped pecans.
kelly schuman says
Happy Birthday from the beaches of Gulf Shores!!
Hope you have a wonderful day!
Thanks! I often find my mind wandering back to Gulf Shores. One of my favorite places 🙂
Kim of Mo'Betta says
Happy Birthday!! Great women were born on this day….you and I 🙂 Laughed and had to check the date on the post when I read it was birthday today.
Carol, Happy Birthday to you too! I hope you have a great day and a year full of blessings 🙂
Our favorite place to picnic is in our own back yard. Neighbors stop by and we enjoy being together. Thank you for the give away !