Cornbread is a staple at our house. It comes together fast and goes with lots of meals. This version was passed down to me by my mom who learned it from her mom. The iron skillet is key, because it creates a crust better than a regular baking pan.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cups flour
- heaping TBS baking powder
- 1 egg
- enough milk to make a batter (about 1 cup)
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Put the skillet in the oven to heat (mine is 10 1/4 inches).
- Stir together the dry ingredients.
- Add the egg and milk and stir till well blended.
- Pull the hot skillet from the oven and add oil or spray with cooking spray.
- Pour in the batter and bake for 15-20 minutes.
I’m showing this recipe off at Tasty Traditions hosted by Coupon Cookin’.