I have made several different versions of gyros sandwiches. I’ve made them with chicken. I have a meatball version in my ebook. But this time I wanted to try making a beef version. And because we’re focusing on the slow cooker this summer, of course I had to use my favorite small appliance to make them.
Every time I make gyros, I serve them with this simple cucumber/yogurt sauce. I know there are other toppings, but this one is so easy and I don’t have to look up how to make it. Easy cooking is how I roll.
The ingredients for these Beef Gyros are simple too. You probably have everything you need in your pantry now, with the exception of dried mint leaves.
Here’s what you’l need (minus the garlic, which didn’t make it into the photo):
I’ve been able to find this beef at Walmart lately and it’s perfect for meals like this. It’s cut very thin. I cut it into strips before cooking, but you could do the cutting after cooking if you wanted.
Slow Cooker Beef Gyros – 75 Days of Summer Slow Cooker Recipes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 Tbs. lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 3/4 tsp. dried mint
- 1 3/4 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 lbs. think cut sirloin steak cut in strips
- 1 cucumber diced
- 8 oz plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp. dried mint
- pita bread
- Mix oil, lemon juice, garlic, mint, oregano, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Use a fork or small whisk to combine.
- Place steak in slow cooker.
- Pour dressing over the top and stir to combine.
- Cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Stir cucumber, yogurt and mint together.
- Serve meat in pita bread, topped with cucumber sauce.