Raise your hand if you need to take something to Thanksgiving Dinner at someone else’s house.
I’ve got the perfect recipe for you. This one travels really well. No risk of spilling it in your car. Or very little risk, anyway.
It stays hot for a long time, which is important for buffet line items. And I think you could even make it in the slow cooker. If you want the pecan topping to crunch up, just pop the slow cooker under the broiler for a minute before serving.
Butternut Squash Casserole is similar to sweet potato casserole, but the flavor of the squash is a little different. This one also has fresh cranberries studded through it. They add a tart flavor to the rich sweetness of other ingredients. The McCormick Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Vanilla really bring out the autumn flavors of this dish.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
I used two butternut squashes for this and I had a lot of casserole! The recipe is easy to cut in half, if you’re feeding a smaller group.
There is a bit of prep work for this one, but it’s easy. The squashes need to be baked before assembling the casserole. There’s not much to this, but you do have to account for the time it will take.
Butternut Squash Casserole
- 2 butternut squashes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 tsp. McCormick vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. McCormick cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. McCormick nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries coarsely chopped
- 5 Tbs. butter melted
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- Cut each squash in half length-wise. Scoop out seeds. Place face down in baking pan. Add several cups of water to keep squash from drying out. Bake at 350 for 1.5 hours or till soft.
- Cool squash and then use a spoon to scrape squash from skin. Place in large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the cranberries and topping ingredients. Mix with electric mixer until well combined.
- Fold in cranberries.
- Spoon into greased casserole dish.
- Stir topping ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. The consistency will be like wet sand.
- Sprinkle on top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 30-40 min.
- To make in slow cooker, grease the crock before adding casserole. Cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Disclosure: I have been compensated for my time by McCormick, however all opinions are my own.