We loved this meal! First, because it just tastes great. It’s a bit of a change from the normal fare. Tender beef cooked with mid-East flavors, stuffed in pocket bread. I served it with cucumber-yogurt sauce instead of the more traditional tahini sauce. Either way is delicious.
I also love that it cooks in the crockpot. And leftovers can easily be reheated for lunch or for those nights when we are eating in shifts due to work and soccer practices.
I adapted the recipe from Chicken Shwarma. Both are tasty, but I think I have a slight preference for this beef version.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- 6 Tbs. lemon juice
- 6 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 2 dashes ground red pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2.5 - 3 lbs. thin cut, boneless beef steak
- 8 oz plain or Greek yogurt
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- pita bread
- Stir lemon juice, olive oil, salt, curry, cayenne pepper and garlic together in a small bowl.
- Place meat in slow cooker.
- Pour mixture over the top and stir to combine with meat.
- Cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours
- Combine yogurt and cucumber.
- Serve cooked meat in pita bread with cucumber-yogurt sauce.