When I was growing up, my family always called sandwiches like this Wimpys. I’m not sure how old I was when I figured out that everyone else calls the Sloppy Joes.
When I made these, my intention was to just use a can of Manwich. But I couldn’t find it anywhere in the grocery. I looked in all the logical places, but no Manwich.
So, I decided to make some homemade. This recipe is adapted from Simply Recipes. Her recipe has ketchup and carrots. I used chili sauce and red peppers. Mine also has more meat, but I liked her base of seasonings although I skipped a few of the herbs and spices. Change this up for your tastes and pantry.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Wimpys aka Sloppy Joes
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 12 oz chili sauce
- 1 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic together in a large pan.
- Add celery and red pepper when the beef is about half way cooked. Continue cooking till beef is done.
- Drain and rinse beef in colander under hot water to remove grease. Return to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients (except buns).
- Heat over medium heat till hot through.
- Serve meat on buns.
Do you call these sandwiches Sloppy Joes, Wimpys or something else?