With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, I decided to make a themed treat for my kids. I thought I was being very original in using Lucky Charms cereal (because what says St.Patrick’s Day more than a leprechaun and green clovers, right?!) Turns out, this has been done many times before. Oh well, I thought I was being creative!
I made these just like traditional rice cereal treats, except I browned my butter. I’ve discovered that brown butter is truly amazing stuff.
- 3 Tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Lucky Charms cereal
- (optional) M&M candies, green chocolate melts, green sprinkles
- Brown butter in a large pot over medium high heat, stirring continuously. Butter will turn an amber color and become fragrant.
- Add marshmallows to butter and stir until melted.
- Remove pot from heat and add cereal.
- Stir until coated.
- Pour cereal mixture into a greased 8x11 or 9x13 pan.
- Press cereal evenly into dish with greased spoon (or hand).
- If using chocolate melts, melt in microwave per package instructions.
- Spoon or pipe over treats.
- Add candies to chocolate before it hardens.
- Top with sprinkles if desired.
I’m not a fan of Lucky Charms cereal (as a child, I would eat the cereal and throw away the marshmallows! My kids are the opposite) but these treats were really tasty! The marshmallows from the cereal become soft and chewy and add to the texture of the cereal treats. Of course the best part, they are fast, easy and fun!