This hearty pasta sauce is full of flavor. Slices of sweet Italian sausage links, combine with bell peppers, onions and garlic in thick tomato sauce.
I like for most slow cooker recipes to not need any kind of browning or cooking on the stove, but this one does require some pre-cooking. Thankfully, it only takes a few minutes to get everything into the crockpot. I made this on a Sunday morning before church. The hands-on prep only took about 15 minutes.
You could also continue cooking it on the stove, but I like the convenience of the crockpot. No need to stir or tend the pot and you can leave the house while it’s cooking.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Serves: 8-10 servings
- 1½ lbs. sweet Italian sausage links
- ½ cup water
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbs. oregano
- 1 Tbs. basil
- 2 tsp. thyme
- ⅛ tsp. sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown sausage links in a non-stick skillet.
- Add ½ cup water to the skillet and continue to cook sausage over medium heat for 5-7 more minutes.
- Remove sausage from skillet and slice into rounds. It's okay if it's not cooked all the way through. It will finish cooking in the slow cooker.
- Add peppers, onion, and garlic to skillet. Cook till tender-crisp.
- Put sausage, veggies and remaining ingredients into slow cooker.
- Cook on high 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Serve over hot, cooked pasta.