You are not going to believe how easy this dessert is. To make the pie, you just mix all the ingredients together in a bowl, then pour into a pie pan and bake.
That’s it! If you can mix, you can make.
The Rum Sauce only requires stirring and 1 minute of boiling. I used rum extract, because I didn’t want to buy a whole bottle of real rum for one dessert.
I made this one night after dinner and invited our neighbors to come eat it with us. We sat on the back porch and talked while the kids played. Every time we do something spontaneous and neighborly like this, I wonder why we don’t do it more often.
Make this dessert and invite friends to share it with you. You’ll be glad you did. So will they.
Here’s what you’ll need:
All of the ingredients are pretty common. The recipe is an old Bisquick recipe for Impossible Coconut Pie. I added coconut extract to it to enhance the flavor. It proved to be a good addition.
The Rum Sauce recipe is adapted from McCormick. I wanted a deeper color and flavor, so I used brown sugar instead of the white the original recipe called for.
I thought this would be great with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on top. But then again, almost everything is better with a scoop of ice cream.
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup baking mix, like Bisquick or Jiffy
- 1½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. coconut extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 Tbs. water
- ½ tsp. rum extract
- Mix all ingredients, except coconut in electric mixer.
- Stir in coconut.
- Pour into greased 8" or 9" pie pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes, until a knife comes out clean.
- Put all ingredients, except rum extract in small saucepan.
- Bring to boil over medium heat and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in extract.
- Serve over warm coconut pie.