Yesterday, we talked about how to make white sauce. That is the basis for this dish too. The simple white sauce poured over layers of potato, ham ans shredded Swiss cheese makes for a wonderful dinner.
In order to keep the baking time to a minimum and ensure the potatoes get cooked all the way through, I boiled the whole potatoes and then sliced them. Since everything is hot going into the oven, it only needs about 20 minutes to melt the cheese and finish off the dish.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- 6-8 potatoes
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 4 Tbs. flour
- 3 cups milk, warmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1-2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Boil the potatoes in a large pan for about 30 minutes, or till tender when pricked with a fork.
- Cool potatoes slightly, then slice 1/4" thick.
- In a large pan or skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour, cooking 1-2 minutes till golden.
- Whisk in milk.
- Bring to low boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Layer potatoes, ham and Swiss in buttered casserole dish. Repeat layers.
- Pour white sauce over all.
- Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.