Yesterday, we talked about how to make white sauce. That is the basis for this dish too. The simple white sauce poured over layers of potato, ham ans shredded Swiss cheese makes for a wonderful dinner.
In order to keep the baking time to a minimum and ensure the potatoes get cooked all the way through, I boiled the whole potatoes and then sliced them. Since everything is hot going into the oven, it only needs about 20 minutes to melt the cheese and finish off the dish.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
Ham and Swiss Scalloped Potatoes
- 6-8 potatoes
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 4 Tbs. flour
- 3 cups milk warmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups diced ham
- 1-2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Boil the potatoes in a large pan for about 30 minutes, or till tender when pricked with a fork.
- Cool potatoes slightly, then slice 1/4" thick.
- In a large pan or skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in flour, cooking 1-2 minutes till golden.
- Whisk in milk.
- Bring to low boil over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Layer potatoes, ham and Swiss in buttered casserole dish. Repeat layers.
- Pour white sauce over all.
- Bake 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Micha @ Cookin' Mimi says
That looks delicious Tiffany. I make something similar with smoked sausage instead of the ham.
Kathy Huffman says
Mmmmm….. looks good, I would probably add some slice mushrooms to this, love mushrooms in anything & this looks like it would work! I love your pin button by the way, been making good use of it 🙂
Yes, if you like mushrooms they would be a good addition to this. Glad you’re making use of the pin button 🙂
I always forget just how long scalloped potatoes take and have never thought to use baked potatoes! I have sliced them all up in the dish and microwaved them for at least 10 minutes then poured over my cheese sauce and put them in the oven and they are at least done in an hour!