This is not your typical tuna salad. There’s no mayo.
Instead, the tuna is served over avocado slices and topped with tomatoes, cilantro and a simple vinaigrette dressing. The flavors are out of this world. For complete happiness, serve it with good, crusty bread.
Oh yeah, you don’t need to turn the oven on for this dinner either.
Here’s what you’ll need:
This is more method than recipe. Trust your taste as you fix it.
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- small handful fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup diced red onion (not in photo)
- drizzle olive oil
- several splashes white wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 can white albacore tuna, drained
- Stir together the tomatoes, cilantro, onion, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Place half the avocado slices on each of 2 plates, arranging in a circle.
- Put half of the tuna in the middle of the avocado.
- Top with half the tomato salad.
*tip* If you’re only making one serving, leave the skin and pit in tact on the extra half of avocado, pop in a baggie and store in the fridge. This will keep it from turning brown too quickly. It should last at least until the next day and possibly another day.