On Thanksgiving Day, we had this soup. Since we were going to be eating two turkey dinners over that weekend I decided to go a different direction. Perfect on a cold day, the soup is cheesy and full of chicken and veggies. I adapted the recipe from an old Southern Living recipe.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken
- 3 boxes chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3-4 carrots, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup white rice
- 1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese, cubed
- salt and pepper
- Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot.
- Add the veggies and cook about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and continue to cook for 20-30 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Stir in the chicken and Velveeta, stirring often as the cheese melts. Be careful not to boil the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.
We eat a lot of soup in the winter. It just seems like the right thing to do. How often do you in soup? Do you have a favorite?
I’m showing this off at Coupon Cookin’s Tasty Traditions.