This hashbrown casserole can be baked in an oven or done in the crockpot. It can even be frozen and baked another day.
Gather up your ingredients:
- 1 bag frozen, shredded hash brown potatoes
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- onion, chopped fine (about 1/2 a small onion)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (or a bit more if you like)
- 1-2 lbs. ham or smoked sausage wrapped in foil
- Stir all the ingredients together.
- Place ham or sausage in foil on top of potatoes, if you are making meat.
- Bake in an oven at 350 degrees for about 1 hour. Or cook in the slow cooker 5-6 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
I know that looks pretty messy. I just mixed the ingredients right in the crockpot. I wanted to have this with ham, but didn’t want the smoky taste to go through the potatoes too much so I used a trick I learned on Crockpot 365. I made a foil packet with the ham in it and placed it on top of the potatoes. Both foods cooked perfectly and the flavors didn’t mingle during the cooking.