Need a little weeknight comfort food? This one’s for you then.
This recipe came about when I looked up from my computer and realized it was already 5:30 and I hadn’t started dinner. (And no, the irony that I’m a food blogger and still have this problem is not lost on me.)
I had a smoked sausage in the fridge and a daughter begging for mac & cheese. But I didn’t want to make the usual kind. A rummage through the cheese drawer yielded a block of Swiss and a new recipe came into being.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Swiss Macaroni and Cheese with Smoked Sausage
- 4 Tbs. butter
- 1/2 onion diced
- 4 Tbs. flour
- 3 cups milk warmed
- 1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
- about 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 lb. smoked sausage heated according to package directions, sliced
- 1 lb. pasta shells cooked
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook till soft.
- Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring often.
- Add mustard and cheese.
- When cheese is melted, combine sauce, cooked pasta and smoked sausage.