A while back I shared how excited I was to find Quaker Steel Cut Oats at the grocery store. They are significantly less expensive than the other brand I’ve seen and I like to use them for oatmeal in the slow cooker.
I never imagined I would use them in soup.
I modified The Sweets Life recipe a little bit. Hers doesn’t have any meat in it and I knew I’d get much further serving a soup full of cabbage to my family if I included some meat. I was right. They all ate the soup and liked it.
Here’s what you’ll need to make a pot:
Smoked Sausage, Cabbage and Oat Soup
- 2-3 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 carrots cleaned and chopped
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 smoked sausage I used turkey, sliced
- 1/2 cabbage chopped
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with liquid
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, garlic and sausage. Cook till onion is clear.
- Add cabbage and cover the soup pot. Cook 5-10 minutes until cabbage wilts.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer over medium heat for 30 minutes or until oats are cooked.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
This soup is really tasty served with cornbread.
Have you ever had oats in soup?