My husband likes his pasta sauce with meat. I prefer mine to be packed with veggies. This is our compromise.
After hours in the slow cooker, the eggplant becomes melt-in-your-mouth buttery. If you didn’t know it was in there, you might not notice it. It’s a great way to sneak in extra veggies! For the sausage, I prefer to use pre-cooked sausage because it’s easier to slice up, but any Italian sausage would work for this.
This makes a pretty big batch for the two of us, but it freezes nicely for future use.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Slow Cooker Pasta Sauce with Sausage and Eggplant
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 16 oz. jar pasta sauce
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 large eggplant
- In the slow cooker, combine the crushed tomatoes, pasta sauce, Italian seasoning and minced garlic.
- Coin slice the sausage. Peel and dice the eggplant. Add both to the slow cooker. Stir well to combine.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve over pasta, topped with parmesan cheese.
Kate is a home cook living and working in New Jersey. In addition to sharing recipes with Eat at Home readers, she blogs her cooking adventures at Kate’s Recipe Box. When she’s not in the kitchen, you can find her reading or tending to her garden.