The other day, I decided to alter the recipe for Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken Sandwiches with Cucumber Mango Salsa and make it work for the pressure cooker. Honestly, I didn’t have high hopes. I’ve been thinking that all this pressure cooking frenzy going on around the interwebs was a bunch of craziness.
And then I tried it for myself.
Now, I will say that the sandwich meat isn’t as tender in the pressure cooker, but it was still good. The key to knowing which appliance to use is knowing what the timing of your day is like.
If you have time to put the food into the slow cooker in the morning, then that’s the way to go. But if you have more time in the afternoon (hands on time is still short), and can wait 30 or so minutes for dinner, then the pressure cooker is your friend.
I used chicken tenders that were still frozen. I set the pressure cooker for a 12 minute cook time. The total time it took was about 30 minutes, including the time to come up to pressure, cook and pressure release.
Pressure Cooker Jerk Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 lbs. frozen chicken tenders
- 16 oz. jerk marinade
- 1 mango
- 1 cucumber
- 1-2 Tbsp. lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rolls for serving
- Place chicken, still frozen, in pressure cooker.
- Pour jerk marinade over chicken.
- Set timer on pressure cooker for 12 minutes.
- When cooking time is done, do a quick pressure release.
- Shred meat and serve.
- While chicken cooks, peel and dice the mango. Dice the cucumber. Toss together with lime juice and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
You might also be interested in The 10 Best Instant Pot Accessories for getting the most out of your Instant Pot.