I’m not really sure what to call this soup. I made it up one night to go with sandwiches. I was looking for a minestrone recipe and decided to make up my own. True confession: I’ve never eaten minestrone and really didn’t know what was in it. I’m pretty sure this isn’t quite like minestrone, but it is really good.
The ingredients are simple and adaptable to what you have hanging around in your kitchen. The soup comes together quick too. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 box chicken broth
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- about 1 cup pasta any shape
- salt and pepper
- Combine all the ingredients, except the pasta, in a pot on the stove.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the carrots are tender.
- Add in the pasta and cook until the pasta is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
I used about 1 – 1 1/2 cups of pasta, just because that’s what was left in the bottom of the box. I think it was a bit thick, but good. Next time I’ll try less pasta for more of a soup texture. You can add any veggies you like or even a can of beans.
One of these days I’ll have to try real minestrone.