This is the final recipe in our Slow Cooker Soup series. I have loved this series!
My goal with each recipe I’ve shared has been to put the ingredients in the crockpot and let them cook. I didn’t want to have to pre-cook any meats for this series. That’s the one step that will stop me from making something if I’m in a big hurry.
I stumbled on a method of cooking meat with bones in it right in the soups. This has worked for several ham based soups and also chicken soups. And it’s the method I used for this soup too.
Cooking the chicken with bones right in the soup gives the broth a rich flavor. It also simplifies the recipe too.
The original recipe for this soup comes from Modern Mrs. Darcy. Anne is one of my favorite bloggers to read. She blogs on all kinds of interesting topics and she’s a fellow Kentuckian too.
I changed up the soup recipe from the way Anne fixed it. She made a homemade broth (great idea, but one I rarely take time for). She also used chicken that had been pre-cooked and took time to sauté the vegetables. All of those steps make wonderful soup, but I wanted a simpler version.
And I think I found success! A simple Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Curry Soup with homemade taste that only takes 10 minutes to prep.
Here’s what you’ll need:
Don’t make the mistake of thinking this is a hot and spicy soup when you see the Sriracha sauce in the ingredient photo. The Sriracha is only used as a condiment for those who want it. The soup itself is mild, nourishing chicken soup with curry taste that isn’t over powering. This is one of my favorite soups from the Slow Cooker Soup series.
Easy Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Curry Soup
- 2 lbs. bone-in chicken I used 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 onion diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 2 Tbs. curry powder
- 2 - 32 oz boxes chicken broth
- 1/2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- cilantro chopped, optional for topping
- Sriracha sauce optional for topping
- Place chicken on bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, curry powder and broth.
- Cook on high 5-6 hours or low 7-8 hours.
- Remove chicken from crock and pull meat from bones.
- Stir rice, coconut milk and chicken meat back into the soup.
- Cook for 20-30 more minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Serve with chopped cilantro and Siracha sauce.