If you like a hearty, hot soup for dinner in the winter, this one’s for you.
It’s thick and cheesy. Full of smoked sausage, potatoes, carrots, celery and onions.
I adapted the recipe from Cheesy Hamburger Soup. I used smoked sausage instead of hamburger. And shredded cheddar instead of Velveeta.
Serve this soup with crusty bread and a big, green salad.
Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
Cheesy Smoked Sausage Chowder
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2-4 stalks celery diced
- 4 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 stick butter
- ¾ cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 8 oz cheddar shredded
- 1 link smoked sausage sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the onion and celery in olive oil in a large pot.
- When the onion is soft, add potatoes, broth, water to the pot.
- Bring to boil and cook until potatoes are tender.
- In a sauce pan, make a white sauce by melting butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk.
- Add cheese and stir till cheese is melted and sauce is thickened.
- Add cheese sauce to broth.
- Stir in smoked sausage. Heat soup several more minutes, being careful not to let it boil.
- Season with salt and pepper.